Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Basics about Jesus


In this episode Brother Jonathan discusses some of the basic points about Jesus.

 

Remnant Bible Fellowship

S3EP4

Basics about Jesus

 

  1. Did Jesus always know who He was?
    1. “And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers. And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing. And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business? And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.” (Luke 2:46-50)
  2. He came from the Father
    1. “I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.” (John 16:28)
    2. “Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.” (John 20:21)
  • He claimed a divine knowledge and fellowship
    1. “All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.” (Mat 11:27)
    2. “O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.” (John 17:25)
  1. He is a manifestation of the Father
    1. “Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.” (John 14:9-11)
    2. “I and my Father are one.” (John 10:30)
      1. It’s been said by some that the first part of this statement (“I and my Father…”) refutes Sabellianism. Sabellianism is the teaching that Jesus’ nature is like God the Father’s but not the same as it. This was condemned as heresy by Christians early on.
      2. The latter part of this statement (“…are one.”) has been said to refute the teaching called Arianism. This is the idea that Jesus BECAME a god after a progression of increasing exaltation. He taught that Jesus was a created being and was only unique in that he was God’s greatest creation. Arius’ attack on the divinity of Christ is what led to the Council of Nicaea. This is still taught today through the Watchtower Society and the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
    3. “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.” (1Tim. 3:16)
    4. “For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.” (Col. 2:9)
      1. Newer Bible versions translate the Greek word underlying “Godhead” as “divine nature”. This is consistent with how the KJV translates the same Greek word elsewhere.
    5. “Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.” (Mat. 1:23)
    6. “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” (Isa. 9:6)
    7. “Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.” (Col 1:15-17)
    8. “Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;” (Heb 1:3)
  2. He assumed divine Qualities
    1. He came down from Heaven
      1. “For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.” (John 6:38)
      2. “And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.” (John 3:13)
    2. Omnipresence
      1. “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” (Mat. 18:20)
      2. “Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see. Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.” (John 1:45-49)
    3. Power to forgive sins.
      1. “When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee. But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts, Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only? And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts? Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house. And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.” (Mark 2:5-12)
    4. Power to raise the dead
      1. “Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:54)
      2. He raised a girl who had just died (Mat. 9:25; Mk. 5:41; Lk. 8:54), a widow’s son who was about to be buried (Lk. 7:14), and a man who had been dead for four days already (John 11:43-44).
    5. His deity
      1. It was declared by angels:
        1. By Gabriel to Mary (Luke 1:26-33)
        2. By Gabriel to Joseph (Mat. 1:20-23)
  • By angels to some shepherds (Luke 2:8-11)
  1. By angels to some women (Mat. 28:5-6)
  1. It was declared by the Father
    1. At his baptism (Mat. 3:16-17)
    2. At his transfiguration (Mat. 17:5)
  • Shortly before his passion (Jn. 12:27-28)
  1. His deity was declared by demons.
    1. As he healed a possessed man (Mat. 8:28-29)
    2. As he healed a possessed man in Capernaum (Luke 4:33-34)
  • As he healed many in Capernaum (Luke 4:41; Mark 3:11)
  • The Humanity of Jesus – He was entirely man
    1. He had an earthly parent (Mary) (Luke 1:31)
    2. He had a human body (Mt. 26:12)
    3. He had a human soul (Jn. 12:27)
    4. He had a human spirit (Mk. 2:8; Lk. 23:46)
    5. He increased in wisdom and stature as He grew to adulthood (Lk. 2:52, 40)
      1. Though Jesus knew who He was he still chose to live as a human being. He submitted Himself to living as a human while still maintaining His profession of divinity. He was God manifested in the flesh who willing humbled Himself to live as a human.
        1. “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.” (Php 2:5-8)
      2. He asked questions (Lk. 2:46; 8:45)
      3. He learned obedience (Lk. 2:51)
      4. He looked like a man
        1. To the Samaritan woman (Jn. 4:9)
        2. To the Jews (Jn. 8:57; 10:33)
  • To Mary Magdalene (Jn. 20:15)
  1. He possessed flesh and blood (Jn. 6:51, 55)
  2. He socialized (Jn. 2:1-2)
  3. He prayed (Lk. 11:1)
  4. He was tempted (Mt. 4:1)
  5. He hungered (Mt. 4:2; 21:18)
  6. He thirsted (Jn. 4:7; 19:28)
  7. He ate food (Jn. 21:13-15; Lk. 24:41-43)
  8. He became weary (Jn. 4:6)
  9. He slept (Mt. 8:24)
  10. He loved (Mk. 10:21)
  11. He had compassion (Mt. 9:36; 14:14; 15:32; et al.)
  12. He was angered and grieved (Mk. 3:5)
  13. He wept (Jn. 11:35; Lk. 19:41)
  14. He experienced joy (Lk. 10:21)
  15. He possessed zeal (Jn. 2:17)
  16. He became sorrowful (Mt. 26:37; Mk. 14:34)
  17. He sang (Mt. 26:30)
  18. He sweat and agonized (Lk. 22:44)
  19. He was troubled (Jn. 11:33; 12:27; 13:21; et al.)
  20. He bled (Jn. 19:34)
  21. He died (Mt. 27:50)
  22. He was buried (Mt. 27:59-60)
  • Old Testament Prophecies
    1. Born of a Virgin
      1. “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.” (Isa 7:14)
      2. “Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.” (Mat 1:22-23)
    2. He would be called “Emmanuel”. Names are very significant in prophecy because they reveal something.
      1. “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.” (Isa 7:14)
      2. “Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.” (Mat 1:22-23)
    3. He would have a forerunner.
      1. “The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.” (Isa 40:3-5)
      2. “Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Mal 3:1)
  • “In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.” (Mat 3:1-3) See also Luke 1:76-78; 3:3-6.
  1. He would be born in Bethlehem.
    1. “But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.” (Mic 5:2)
    2. “When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet, And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.” (Mat 2:3-6) See also Luke 2:4-7.
  2. He would be in Egypt for a time.
    1. “When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.” (Hos 11:1)
    2. “And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him. When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt: And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.” (Mat 2:13-15)
  3. He would heal many.
    1. “Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.” (Isa 53:4)
    2. “When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.” (Mat 8:16-17)
  4. To be rejected by his own.
    1. “He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.” (Isa 53:3)
    2. “I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother's children.” (Psa 69:8)
  • “He came unto his own, and his own received him not.” (John 1:11) See also John 7:5.
  1. To make a triumphal entry into Jerusalem.
    1. “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.” (Zec 9:9)
    2. “All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.” (Mat 21:4-5)
  2. To be the rejected cornerstone.
    1. “The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner. This is the LORD'S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.” (Psa 118:22-23)
    2. “Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?” (Mat 21:42)
  • “Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.” (Act 4:10-11)
  1. To be betrayed by his friend for thirty pieces of silver.
    1. “Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.” (Psa 41:9)
    2. “For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.” (Psa 55:12-14)
  • “And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.” (Zec 11:12-13)
  1. “Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.” (Mat 26:14-16)
  1. His price money to be used to buy a potter’s field.
    1. “And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.” (Zec 11:12-13)
    2. “Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood. And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in. Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value; And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me.” (Mat 27:3-10)
  2. To be forsaken by his disciples.
    1. “Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.” (Zec 13:7)
    2. “Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad… But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.” (Mat 26:31, 56)
  3. He will be counted with sinners in his death.
    1. “Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.” (Isa 53:12)
    2. “Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.” (Mat 27:38)
  4. To suffer the piercing of hands and feet.
    1. “For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.” (Psa 22:16)
    2. “And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.” (Zec 12:10)
  5. He would be scourged and spat upon.
    1. “The Lord GOD hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back. I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.” (Isa 50:5-6)
    2. “Now gather thyself in troops, O daughter of troops: he hath laid siege against us: they shall smite the judge of Israel with a rod upon the cheek.” (Mic 5:1)
  • “Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,” (Mat 26:67)
  1. “And the soldiers led him away into the hall, called Praetorium; and they call together the whole band. And they clothed him with purple, and platted a crown of thorns, and put it about his head, And began to salute him, Hail, King of the Jews! And they smote him on the head with a reed, and did spit upon him, and bowing their knees worshipped him. And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple from him, and put his own clothes on him, and led him out to crucify him.” (Mark 15:16-20)
  1. His garments to be parted and gambled for. Psalm 22:18 with Luke 23:34 and John 19:23-24.
  2. To be surrounded and ridiculed by his enemies. Psalm 22:7-8 with Mat. 27:39-44 and Mark 15:29-32.
  3. None of his bones would be broken. Psalm 34:20; Ex. 12:46; Num. 9:12 with John 19:33-36.
  4. To be buried with the rich. Isaiah 53:9 with Mat. 27:57-60.
  5. To be raised from the dead. Psalm 16:10 with Mat. 28:2-8.
  6. To Ascend to Heaven.
    1. “Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in. Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle. Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in. Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.” (Psa 24:7-10)
    2. “Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high.” (Isa 52:13)
  • “And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:9-11)
  1. His Offices
    1. Prophet
      1. “The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken; According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not. And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken. I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.” (Deu 18:15-18) cf. Acts 3:22.
    2. High Priest
      1. “Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;” (Heb 3:1)
      2. “Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” (Heb 4:14-16)
    3. King
      1. “Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.” (John 1:49)
      2. “On the next day much people that were come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem, Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord. And Jesus, when he had found a young ass, sat thereon; as it is written, Fear not, daughter of Sion: behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass's colt.” (John 12:12-15)
  • “These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.” (Rev 17:14)

Here's our new episode:

No comments:

Post a Comment