Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Remember Robert Wilson

Professor Robert Wilson was a man who learned 45 languages and dialects in order to defend the Old Testament of the Bible as being truly reliable. It took 45 years of his life. When he was old, a younger man expressed amazement at the range of his linguistic explorations. Wilson replied, "As a man is interested in his roses, and doesn’t think of the thorns." By this he meant that if a man is truly seeking after that in which he has pleasure he doesn't regard the difficulties or hardships of it. It's after reading things like this that I find myself wondering about all those people who profess to be followers of Christ who have never read His Word. Remember Robert Wilson, who said it thus: "I used my spare time. When I went out for a walk I would take a grammar with me, and when I sat down to rest, I would take out the book, study it a little, and learn what I could...I would read a grammar through, look up the examples, making notes as I went along, and I wouldn’t pass by anything until I could explain it...So I learned Greek, Latin, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Biblical Aramaic, Syriac, Arabic, and so on."

How much do you regard the difficulties in seeking and following Christ?


Here's our new episode:

No comments:

Post a Comment